Some time ago we released the LGPL client library used in MySQL 3.23. This can be used by many applications to connect to MariaDB, MySQL, and Drizzle, but doesn't satisfy all the requirements one would like to see for a true replacement for the current GPL client library.
Minimum requirements are:
- It should be binary link level compatible with the current MySQL 5.1 client library. To use it, one would just have to re-link the application with the new library. No re-compilation of the source should be necessary.
- It should have all functionality of the MySQL 5.1 client library (including prepared statements).
- It should be able to connect to all current versions of MariaDB, MySQL and Drizzle.
- It should support all the new functionality in MariaDB's client library like new client functions and pluggable authentication.
- The license should be one of BSD/LGPL/Apache.
We have already found some companies that are willing to sponsor this project, but not yet enough to get it all done.
If you are willing to donate some time and effort on this, please contact us at
'maria-developers at lists.launchpad.com' or 'community at askmonty.org' (we strongly prefer the public maria developers list).
If you are willing to sponsor this effort, please contact us at 'sales at askmonty.org' or use our contact form.
We will put all monetary sponsorship into the Worklog. As with all worklog items, if someone from the community delivers a working solution that is accepted into the MariaDB source they will get 60% of the so far committed money.